The Teutonic Castle

The castle was built at the turn of the 13th and 14th century by the Teutonic Order on a square plan. After the Battle of Grunwald (aka the First Battle of Tannenberg) in 1410, all personal valuables of Urlich von Jungingen, the Grand Master of the Teutonic Order, were deposited here. After the Thirty Years’ War the castle was incorporated into Poland. During the years 1466-1772 the castle was the seat of the town starost and the place where the sejmiks (occasionally translated as dietines) of Chełmno lands were held. The Castle was destroyed by the Swedish army in the 17th century.